banner

Onions, Onions and more Onions


Onions, Onions and more Onions








My Tightwad Tip is when you buy a huge bag on onions, I bought 10lbs for $4.98 @ COSTCO. There is no way I can use all the onions before they go bad. So I take a hour and dice, mince, slice the bag of onions. I then put the onions into quart freezer bags. They go into my freezer in the garage. If I put them in the freezer in the kitchen: the whole thing will smell like onions. They do sell pre cut frozen onions at the grocery store for $1.09 or more. I do know that bag is not even a quart. Here I got 6 stuffed bags! Hope this helps someone.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do that also. The onions are easy to put in soups, stews, sphaghetti sauce, etc. Great tip, thanks for sharing.
Your friend,
Pam

Speaking from the Heart said...

I never thought of that. For Christmas, anniversary, Valentine's Day, or etc,, you ought to ask your hubby for a seal- a- meal. I love mine. It has kept my strawberries fresher and longer.

Unknown said...

That is a great idea. I do buy the little bags of precut onions...actually the one I get has peppers and celery in it as well. Onions and I don't get along and cutting that many would probably send me to bed lol! Julie

Jennifer Hoots said...

Oh my! That is a lot of chopping. You are amazing.
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Do you have a good cry while chopping? (lol)
I like your idea, but will ask DH if he wants to do the chopping.
Blessings, Mama Karen

Lisa said...

Thats a great idea. I never thought of that. I love Costco but never buy things like onions knowing we would not use that much. Thanks for the tip! Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thank you ! What a GREAT idea !!! I will have to store this in tightwad memory.
[0= I also like to dehydrate sliced onions too. [0=

Blessing and ((hugs)) my SSiC
In Him<><
-Mary

Anonymous said...

That's a good idea! DH decided we would not plug in the chest freezer in our new rental's garage, but one day I'll be crying along with you :)

blessings
Denise

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a bad eye day! I bet your hands don't smell so good after that either!

Carol

MrsMomma said...

Buying in bulk & then freezing is the way to go!
-Heather

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin